November 12, 2011

In Penang

~ Betch

This has been WAY overdue. The story of the Penang trips in one year. I meant to tell it earlier but with schedule clashes and busy periods (this year has been rather overwhelming), it was quite hard to manage. SO anyways, here it is... the first two trips of Penang. Both were great, don't get me wrong, but the first one was quite challenging.

The first trip happened some time back in May I think, when two college friends and I went camping in Penang. I know, you'd think, when did camping ever interest me? But these two friends of mine were rather insistent that I should experience camping out. So off we went to Pantai Kerachut, Penang, where we spent the night in this campsite. 

The mosquitoes were pure bloody murder (Listerine is NOT a mosquito repellent) and like that wasn't enough, I got stung by a jellyfish when I was swimming in the beach! OH HEAVEN HAVE MERCY, I can still feel the raging sting that plagued my right hand. It looked as if a thousand insects of various kinds just landed on the same spot of my right hand and bit me. So you can imagine me (if you know me), I just started prancing and dancing and singing around the beach to take the pain away... AFTER I applied vinegar to the stung hand. Oh, the ringing pain.

So then, my friends and I retired for the night and ate food that was pre-prepared. Of course we had marshmallows and stuff over a fire. That was great. And to think the challenge of the day was over... 

We all went to sleep. I had trouble though. The air was humid and heavy, which made me feel uneasy. I rolled about for a long time and just when I fell asleep, I heard a kerfuffle next to me and realised my friends had awoken. I turned and that was when I felt the first drop of water on my face, followed by another, and then another and before I said "Oh piss", it was raining! And best of all, the tent wasn't protecting us from it! What kind of tent isn't waterproof?!!!! My question was later answered when my friend who got it said, "I got it for free." *heaves and sighs*

We moved to this hall, and spent the rest of the night there. I couldn't sleep at all. I was a feast for the mosquitoes that trailed me as I spent the rest of the night till morning walking in circles to stop them from biting me. My friend thought I was doing my devotional reading and praying. LOL. I was definitely praying... praying for time to speed up so morning will come and we all could leave.

The rest of the trip was spent in an apartment we booked for three days. We spent most of our time eating really. What else do you do in Penang aside from eat and go to the beach? It's the most affordable thing to do as a tourist and if people know me well, they know I like affordable. It's safe grounds. :D

Well, after camping, I suppose it was an eye-opening experience. Honestly, I dunno if I'll ever go camping again.
(to be continued...)

Our moments of inspiration are not lost though we have no particular poem to show for them; for those experiences have left an indelible impression, and we are ever and anon reminded of them. ~ Henry David Thoreau

No comments: